Wednesday, January 30, 2013

FIRST QUILT

I don't know where you live, but around here it feels wonderful temperature wise!  This morning around nine o'clock I decided to step out onto the deck to fill up my bird feeder and the warm spring like air hit me with such a wonderful clean scent to it and the temperature climbed from -13 Celsius to near plus 10 Celsius. Talk about a total turn around in temperatures in just hours.  Though the weatherman said we'd have rain and then freezing rain yesterday and overnight, in my little spot on earth it simply did not happen.  
Celsius is read from the left and Fahrenheit is read from the right side
Mind you tomorrow the temperature is supposed to dip into the minus digits once again tonight, but for today I will enjoy all of this fresh air wafting into my house.  I have opened as many windows as I dare and turned the heat off for awhile.  My house is doesn't smell stale anymore,  LOL   I wonder if the sun will manage to break through the cloud cover today?

I unearthed the first quilt I ever made and when my hands grasped it to take it from the box it sent my memories back into the past to the time I was just beginning to take a serious interest in quilting.  I remember how enthusiastic I was choosing the fabrics and the color choices.  Not knowing enough about seam allowances, these seams were sewn at least 5/8" and the size certainly was/is not a regular single bed size, but what odds, it measured out to be 52" in its width by 78" in length, and truth be told I was so darned proud of this quilt and even congratulated myself on what I believed was a wonderful choice of borders and binding.  The lady who quilted if for me must have had a good chuckle, but she never ever told me about my mistakes.  


Can you remember your first quilt, do you still have it?  I simply could never part with this first quilt, it is worth a fortune to me because at the time I made it, it was the most exciting thing I had ever done.  I continue to use it every summer because it's really a summer quilt.   Is anyone making the card trick pattern anymore?  

IF you still have pictures around of your first ever quilt you made, how about sharing it with us here?  It would be so much fun to read about how you believe you have progressed in your quilting endeavors.  If you send me a photo I will gladly put it here at the blog so others may also share your first accomplishment.  

Some time ago, Janet Wickell asked her readers about their first quilt and did a series on First Quilts on About.com and I can really understand what it is those wonderful quilters had to say about their first quilts.  I really think most of the stories with the pictures of the quilt look more professional than mine, but I certainly can remember those thoughts they put into their stories.  A very interesting set of reader stories.

Your being here today is really appreciated so thank you for sharing some of your time here with me.  I am hoping you'll pass along my blog address, because I really would love to welcome back all Followers I had with my first blog and which Blog I managed to lose this past summer.  Trying to duke it out with those at Blogger just didn't seem to make a difference even though I had been blogging for some years under the same blog name and address. 

Please remember, bloggers love to hear your thoughts on their posts, so if you have a thought or two for me today, I would love to hear your comments. 


It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.  ~George Horace Lorimer



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your opinions, your viewpoint, your thoughts, ideas and opinions are of interest to me, leaving a comment with your e-mail address will ensure that I reply to you. If you are a no mail responder, I will leave a response in this Comment Section